Sunday, May 30, 2010

Photo Project One: Photograms (Backwork)

One thing I've learned about blogs is that they're the best place to put up examples of your work, so you can give people a good example of who you are as a photographer.

So, in an effort to actually post more, this is the first post of many of all my backed up work (or "backwork") from the previous semester.

A photogram is an image created by placing objects on a photo-sensitive surface (such as photo paper), and then exposing it to light. The paper is then developed, which can result in some pretty cool images.

Since the Journalism department got rid of the old film program and turned Photojournalism into purely digital photography, we had to get a bit creative to make a similar effect.

Our assignment was to make three photograms by placing various objects inside of a printer, and create a series of "digital photograms," of sorts. The only real rules were that it couldn't be made out of just random stuff that we pulled out of our pockets, and that the photograms all had to be related to one another.

I hadn't realized that they had to related until the day we were doing them, so I quick threw together two other ideas to go with my original.


Here is my digital photogram series, "Religions of the Book."


Judaism


Christianity


Islam


I would explain my thought process behind each of them, but I feel that I would be robbing readers of the chance to give their own meanings to the pictures.

Needless to say, my favorite photogram is definitely Judaism, simply because of the powerful emotions it portrays.

If I had to do this project again, I would have invested in having actually used a background for the first two photograms. They look a little shoddy with just the insides of the scanner as a background, but meh. Hindsight is always 20/20.

No comments:

Post a Comment